And you don't have to dress like you're a competitor in the Tour de France, either!
Downtown Mainstreet and Drift Cycle are hosting Bike to Work Day on May 21. You could also Bike to the Library, Bike to the Grocery Store, or Bike to School.
Tips for bike commuting:
* Get a comfy upright bike with fenders (or get some light-weight clip-on fenders)
* Wear normal clothes (invest in a rain suit for wet days#)
* Don't race! Easy pace!
* Have a basket, panniers, or rack trunk to carry your lunch, water, wallet, phone, etc. Backpacks work, too, but they might be uncomfortable.
* If it might be rainy, take a bag or seat cap to keep your saddle dry.
* Agitate for secure covered bike parking close to your workplace or classroom.
* Agitate for PROTECTED BIKE LANES on all major routes so anyone of any age or ability (AAA riders) can safely and joyously ride to work, school, or wherever they want to go.
* If needed, you can put your bike on the bus.
And pick a route that you'll feel comfortable riding--as straight as possible. Often, one street over from the busy street is a super quiet street you'll have mostly to yourself. But don't be satisfied with crappy routing and second-class status.
# There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.