Cross posted from Coulee Region Sierra Club
Green New Deal Town Hall announced for the Greater La Crosse region
La Crosse, WI -- La Crosse tri-state area students, community members, and local leaders will host a town hall for the region on Tuesday, May 7 at 6:00 p.m. at Hackberry's Bistro above the People's Food Co-op, 315 Fifth Avenue South, to launch the next phase of the campaign for the Green New Deal.
At the town hall, attendees will learn how a 10-year mobilization can avert the worse effects of climate change and create millions of good jobs, improving the lives of people in La Crosse and the region.
This town hall will be one of over 300 similar events happening in classrooms, community centers, churches, and union halls across the country this spring as part of the national Road to a Green New Deal tour.
Co-sponsors of the event include the Coulee Region Sierra Club, La Crosse Peoples Food Co-op, La Crosse Area SURJ, and Coulee Region Climate Alliance. Other area sustainability leaders have been invited to participate. Speakers will highlight the urgent need to drastically reduce carbon emissions and create many new green jobs for all to help build a truly sustainable economy that improves all lives in the process.
- Janette Dean, MN 350 Policy Action Team Member: Will give the latest updates on efforts in MN & other states in the Midwest to pass statewide Green New Deals.
- Cathy Van Maren, Coulee Region Sierra Club Ready for 100 Team Member: Will share information about regional communities working on pledges to get 100% of energy needs
- from renewables as soon as possible
- Peter Gorski, La Crosse Area SURJ member: Will talk about how the Green New Deal addresses historic and present environmental racism
- Terrence Daniels, technology and environmental activist: Will report on climate activism and how and why it's vital that individuals get involved
- Invited: Nick Nichols, La Crosse County Sustainability Coordinator
· More to be announced
If your group or organization would like to speak or co-sponsor, please email email@example.com subject=GNDTH
Read more at sunrisemovement.org/tour