Many left everything behind and suffered harrowing experiences to get to the airport and on a flight. Some have been separated from family members, including children. Often, extended family members are not allowed to accompany those who have the paperwork to qualify for exit. This is a trauma for families and for US troops who are trying to secure and oversee a very dangerous and chaotic situation.
How can we help?
Dozens of individuals and organizations are working together to build a local foundation and network to anticipate, find, and meet needs. If you can help in any way, please do.
If you can donate to help with refugee resettlement or to help get people out of Afghanistan, here's a short list:
- No One Left Behind
- Flyaway Emergency Afghan Rescue Mission
- Catholic Charities
- Red Cross
- Othman bin Affan Mosque, PO Box 275, Onalaska, WI 54650 Venmo: @OBA-Mosque-LaCrosse
If you can help in-person, here are some needs. Contact the Red Crosse or Catholic Charities to volunteer.
- Immigration/refugee/DOJ attorneys
- Pashto speakers/translators
- ESL teachers
- Individuals who can commit to at least two weeks of daily help at Ft. McCoy staffing MWR (Morale, Welfare, Recreation) services, including playing soccer with children, serving tea, helping make people feel welcome, etc.
- Individuals who can help transport people in Tomah and donations from La Crosse to Tomah
- Individuals who can write letters to the editor and talk to co-workers, friends, organizations with a message of welcome, support, and responsibility to counter some of the ugly rumors being circulated on social media
Post a Comment