But first, US Senator Ron Johnson is doing a "telephone town hall" on Tuesday, Aug. 5 at 6:35 p.m. CT. If you are interested in participating, please email your phone number, name and city to: RJohnsonPress@ronjohnson.
Johnson will also hold town hall meetings this month. The closest to La Crosse are:
Friday, Aug. 8, from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.- Reedsburg Recreation Center, 134 Locust St., Reedsburg
Saturday, Aug. 9, from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. - Prairie du Chien City Hall, Community Room; 214 E. Blackhawk Avenue, Prairie du Chien
His staff is also having some listening sessions, but all of them are on Wisconsin's east coast. Clearly, Johnson is working to limit the carbon footprint of his office staff by declining to have anything to do with most of western Wisconsin.
Some issues you might want to bring up:
- Johnson's lawsuit to ensure Congressional staffers have to pay more for their health insurance (tossed by the court)
- Johnson's statement that the Affordable Care Act is, "the greatest assault on freedom in our lifetime"
- Johnson's view that "incentives" such as welfare for illegal immigrants is what's driving the unprecedented numbers of unaccompanied minors across the US borders.
- Johnson's climate change denial.
- Johnson's false facts on Social Security - does he think the system should be privatized?
Get more ideas here.
Have you voted yet? You can vote "absentee in person" at the City Clerk's office (2nd floor, City Hall) between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. through Friday, August 8. Don't let them keep you from voting (it's more subtle than you might think).
If you need to get a little more riled up before Thursday's movie, read these:
- No campaign finance disclosures required, thank you. Love, GAB
- "A partisan and ineffective hodgepodge of favors for his base"
- Wisconsin GOP considering expanding anti-union rules to police, firefighters
- ALEC's coming agenda (hint: it's not solar cities and universal health care)
- Koch network backed "shadowy Wisconsin group" that helped Walker win the recall