Who was consulted? The new .alt president, Steve Bannon and his executive order drafting buddy, unelected " fellow right-wing nationalist Stephen Miller," per a report in NY Magazine.
There have been many outrages including
- two American citizen children held for 20 hours with no food at Dulles (reported by Jezebel)
- elderly Iraqi mom of US soldier detained and handcuffed for 30+ hours (tweeted by @altDOJ)
- even after a federal judge stayed the ban, some officers of Customs and Border Patrol were reportedly detaining people (even some Americans with dual citizenship) counter to the judge's order
- an Iraqi family, who sold everything to come to the US as legal immigrants, was stopped in Cairo and not allowed to continue to the US
- an Iraqi man, a former US military interpreter, who was legally coming to the US so his son could receive liver treatments was detained at RFK airport (volunteer attorneys and elected officials helped win their release)
- more stories from CNN
- Dallas mayor Mike Rawlings apologized to those detained
- The ACLU has received more than $19 million dollars in one weekend (normal annual fundraising brings in $3 to $4 million) and more is coming in as celebrities donate matching funds for new donations (oh, yes, and they are suing the Trump administration over this ban)
- More than 3 million people have signed the global letter to Donald Trump "The world rejects your fear, hate-mongering, and bigotry."
- Thousands have turned out around the country to protest these illegal actions
In the mean time, please spend part of your day Monday calling the following officials (calls have much more impact than emails).
Sen. Ron Johnson (R) - (202) 224-5323 (if the DC line is busy, try Milwaukee: (414) 276-7282
Rep. Paul Ryan (R), Speaker of the House - (202) 225-0600 (or try his Janesville # (608) 752-4050)
White House phone comment lines have reportedly been shut down by the Trump administration, but some people have gotten creative as noted in this Mashable article. calling his hotels ("satellite White Houses") instead.
Actually, 5 Calls is the easiest way to make those calls every day. Click "Change Location" and enter your zip. A list of topics (including this one) will come up with the ability to make calls right away and sample talking points.
ps After calling about this illegal action, call Johnson again and Senator Baldwin ((608) 796-0045) and tell them Senator Sessions is unfit to serve as our Attorney General. UPDATE: AND BETSY DE VOS (Edecation) AND REX TILLERSON (State) should also be rejected. All are unqualified and have extreme conflicts of interest.
Post a Comment